The holy month of Shawwal
Shawwal is the tenth month of the Islamic Calendar.
Meaning of the word Shawwaal:- Uplift/breakage. Before Islam, Arabs believed
that any marriage held in Shawwaal would always turn out to be unsuccessful.
Hence, the month deprived the above metioned meanings, however the
superstitious belief was later abolished.
The month Shawwaal:- From the months of Hajj, Shawwaal is the first of them.
The first day of Shawwaal is Eid-Ul-Fitr and also the day when sins are forgiven.
Six fasts of Shawwaal:- In the month of Shawwaal it is Sunnah to keep six fasts,
as narrated in the following Hadeeth by Abu Ayyub Ansari (R.A) that the Holy
prophet Hazrat Mohammed (saw) has said, “If one throughout his life keeps the
fasts of Ramadhaan and keeps six consecutive fasts in Shawwaal it will be as
though he has kept a whole life time of fasts, and if one keeps the six
consecutive fasts for one Shawwaal month it will be as though he has observed
fast all year round.” (Muslim)
Events in Shawwal
• Sayyidina Hazrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah (r.d.a) was born in Shawwaal four
years after Prophethood which is nine years before Hijrah.
• Sayyidina Hazrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah (r.d.a) was married in this month ten
years after Prophethood which is three years before Hijrah
• The fight between Banu Qaynaqaa took place between the battle of Badr
and Uhud (Shawwaal 2 A.H. after Hijrah)
• The battle of Uhud also took place in Shawwaal, three years after Hijrah.
• Hadhrat Hussain (r.d) th e Holy prophet Hazrat Mohammed (saw)
grandson was born in the month of Shawwaal four years after Hijrah.
• The Holy prophet Hazrat Mohammed (saw) married Hadhrat Umme
Salamah (R.A.) in Shawwaal in the fourth year after Hijrah.
• Sayyidina Hazrat Aa’ishah Siddiqah’s (r.d.a) mother passed away in 5
• The Holy prophet Hazrat Mohammed (saw) uncle Abu Talib departed from
this world during the middle of Shawwaal in the year 5 A.H.
• Imam Bukhari (r.a) was born on a Friday of Shawwaal in the year 194 A.H.
Blessed month of Shawwal• Beginning of the Ashur-ul-Hajj
• The Night Preceding ‘Eid-ul-Fitr’
• Before Going to Eid Prayer
• The ‘Eid Prayer
• How to Perform Eid Prayer
• Khutbah: The Address of ‘Eid-ul-fitr
• Six Fasts in the Month of Shawwal
Shawwal is the first of the three months named as “Ashhur al-Hajj” (i.e. the
months of Hajj). Although the major acts of Hajj are normally performed in the
first ten days of Zulhijjah, yet the whole period starting from the first of Shawwal
up to the 10th of Zulhijjah is held to be the period of Hajj because some acts of
Hajj can be performed any time during this period. For example, the Tawaf-ulqudum, followed by the Sai’ of Hajj cannot be performed before Shawwal, while it
can be performed any day after the beginning of Shawwal. Similarly, an ‘Umrah
performed before Shawwal cannot be treated as the ‘Umrah of Tamattu: while
the ‘Umrah performed in Shawwal can be affiliated to the Hajj, making it a Hajj of
Tamattu: Moreover, ihram of Hajj should not be started before Shawwal, because
• Eid al-Fitr on 1st of Shawwal
• Nikah ; Bibi Hadrat Ayesha Siddeeqa (r.d.a) on 4th of Shawwal
• Urs of Hadrat Khawaja Usman Harooni, Makkah Shareef on 6th of Shawwal
• Battle of Uhud on 6th Shawwal 3 Hijri
• Battle of Hunain on 7th Shawwal 8 Hijri
• Urs of Hadrat Owais al-Qarani on 9 th of Shawwal
• Martyrdom of Hadrat Amir Hamza, Madinah Shareef on 14th of Shawwal
• Battle of Khandaq on 15th Shawwal