What is Durood Shareef?
To recite the Durood Shareef and send Salaams upon Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) is an action that has been commanded by Almighty Allah. Almighty Allah declares in the Holy Quran:
“Allah and His Angels send blessings on the Prophet: O you who believe! Send your blessings on him and salute him will respect.” (33:56)
In this verse of the Holy Quran, Almighty Allah and His Malaa’ikah and the Muslims have been mentioned as sending Durood upon Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam). So, Durood Shareef is actually “a Du’a in praise of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
There is abundance of Thawaab for one who reads the Durood Shareef. The more Durood Shareef that you read, the more closer you get to Almighty Allah and His beloved Rasool (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
When Almighty Allah sends Durood and Salaams upon Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), He is actually blessing him. When the Malaa’ikah and the Muslims send Durood and Salaams to Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam), they are actually showing Almighty Allah their respect for the Holy Prophet (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).
Muslims hope that, through the blessings of the Durood and Salaams, Almighty Allah will forgive them of their sins and increase their status in this world and in the Aakirah. The Malaa’ikah hope that Almighty Allah will increase their status.
How to read the Durood Shareef
1. Always be in a state of cleanliness when you are reciting the Durood Shareef.
2. It is better to sit in the Tashahudd position as you would sit when in Salaah and recite the Durood Shareef with concentration and the respect due to it.
3. One should face the Qiblah of the blessed city of Madinatul Munawwarah.
4. Recite Durood Shareef wherever you are (not in the bathroom or toilet) and during any occasion.
Blessings of Durood Shareef
A few benefits of reciting the Durood Shareef are:
1. Almighty Allah and His Angels (Malaa’ikah) send blessings upon the person who recites the Durood Shareef.
2. If one reads a single Durood Shareef, one gets 10 Thawaabs, 10 of one’s sins are forgiven, 10 good deeds are given to that person and one’s respect is increased 10 times.
3. Durood Shareef saves a person from Hell (Jahannam) and makes a person enter Heaven (Jannah) with the Martyrs (Shuhadaa).
4. Any Du’a which begins and ends with Durood Shareef is always accepted.
5. The reciter will be in the company of Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) on the day of Qiyaamah.
6. A person will be given good news of his or her place in Jannah long before he or she passes away.
7. A person who reads 100 Duroods will receive 1 000 Thawaabs from Almighty Allah.
8. The Angels begin to love and help a person who reads the Durood Shareef.
9. The Durood Shareef assists a person when he or she dies.
10. A single Durood Shareef is more in weight than the Mountain of Uhud.
11. Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam) sees and hears a person who reads the Durood Shareef.
12. A person is saved from the terrible events on the Day of Qiyaamah.
13. The reciter is blessed with Barakah and wealth.
14. The person will not feel thirsty on the Day of Qiyaamah.
15. One who reads 100 Durood Shareefs daily, then 100 of that person’s needs are fulfilled. Thirty of this world and seventy of the Hereafter.
16. Reading 100 Durood Shareefs is equal to spending the whole night in Ibaadah.
17. The place where Durood Shareef is read is greatly blessed.
18. The Durood Shareef saves a person from the evils of jealousy, hatred, etc.
19. The house, business or the place where Durood Shareef is read is greatly blessed.
20. Durood Shareef increases one’s memory. (Students must make it a habit to recite Durood Shareef before their lessons.)
21. The reciter of Durood Shareef is greatly loved by Sayyiduna Rasulullah (sallal laahu alaihi wasallam).